Careers at The Brooks Group
Become a Controller for The Brooks Group, a Global Leader in Sustainable Sales Force Transormation
The Brooks Group, founded in 1977 and multi-time winner of The Triad Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” awards, is looking for an experienced Financial Controller to join our team.
About The Brooks Group
Founded in 1977, The Brooks Group is a corporate sales training and sales management training company focused on helping companies build top-performing sales teams.
The Brooks Group is consistently named as a Top Sales Training Company by Training Industry and Selling Power Magazine, and regularly receives industry awards from the Stevie Awards, among others.
Positive, productive company culture is a priority for The Brooks Group, and employees enjoy the following workplace benefits:
- Unlimited paid time off
- Profit sharing program
- Training and development opportunities
- Health care, dental, and optical coverage, 401K, life insurance, and long-term disability plans
About the Position
The Controller will:
- Manage and/or conduct many of the activities of the accounting department including financial controls, working capital management, accounting systems and safeguarding of assets through QuickBooks.
- Enter A/P invoices, work with the President on approval for disbursements
- Work closely with the Accounting Coordinator to record and collect revenues
- Ensure cash collection processing and effectiveness
- Reconcile AMEX statements and post to the General Ledger
- Balance cash each month
- Manage/Conduct the month-end closing process of the accounting department, including account reconciliations, billing accruals and review, fixed asset and depreciation schedule maintenance.
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing internal audits, controls and checks across all departments.
- Develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; ensure team members adhere to such policies and procedures.
- Prepare and file sales tax returns and other similar returns.
- Act as liaison to suppliers in cognizant areas: payroll, benefits, banking, auditing, etc.
- Prepare and distribute daily “flash” reports.
- Ensure the timely and accurate closing of monthly, quarterly and annual management reporting in compliance with US GAAP and that the right processes are in place to deliver financial statement integrity in accordance with organization timelines. Produce income statement and balance sheet monthly via QuickBooks.
- Lead the preparation of the monthly reporting package and implement improvements as needed.
- Communicate financial metrics to senior management.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
- Interact with procurement departments of clients as appropriate.
- Lead negotiations on all insurance products.
- Participate in the development and implementation of various IT solutions and ensure compliance with Company Cyber Security policies.
- Improve internal procedures to ensure alignment with needs of a growing business.
- Participate in Company Leadership meetings representing the finance group.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Language and Mathematical Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to effectively and persuasively present to top management on controversial or complex topics. Ability to listen to and analyze information presented and communicate information and ideas through effective speaking and documentation. Must be able to calculate figures and amounts for all bookkeeping, payroll, budgeting, statistical analysis and probability statements.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency using computer software including QuickBooks and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written and oral instructions.
- Leadership Experience: Must have experience leading accounting processes and teams and managing change in an accounting environment.
- General Professionalism. Must be able to:
- Work independently,
- Complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner,
- Work under stress with deadlines,
- Sustain interpersonal relationships which encourage openness, candor, and trust, both internally and externally, and
- Maintain Company information in a confidential manner.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree plus five years of accounting and progressive finance experience. Experience with GAAP financial reporting particularly as it relates to revenue recognition and matching of revenue with applicable expenses.